Tuesday, August 18, 2009

I am now a Daddy

From Birth


Yesterday was the most amazing day of my life, I became a father. At 8:50 am Louisa and I became parents to a baby girl. Weighing 6 lbs 15 oz, Bethany Priscilla Pang Vautour came into this world and stole our hearts. You always hear how amazing it is to witness the birth of your child, but there is no preparing for the emotion of it actually happening.

Everything went just fine. baby is healthy and both her and mom are doing fine. I on the other hand am in a lot of pain. I slept at the hospital last night so I could be there to help Louisa with the baby. I slept on a cot and when I first woke up this morning I was fine. But after breakfast I was helping Louisa with breast feeding and somehow I pulled a muscle in my lower back.

I was on so much pain. I couldn't sit up straight or stand up straight. When the nurse came into the room she looked at me and said "Are you ok?". "No" I said" "what is wrong?" "I can't move". They took me down to the Emergency Room. Turns out I pulled a muscle and have to take Advil and some prescription anti-inflammatory pills for a week. The worst part is the doctor told me not to lift anything. That includes taking the baby home in her car seat and the bags. And then to literally add insult to injury she said "People will think you are just a jerk making your wife carry everything"

I was very upset that I got hurt and this limits what I can do to help Louisa for the next week or so. We don't have any family in Ottawa which makes it a bit of a tougher pill to swallow. Luckily Louisa's mom is visiting for a while to help out. I will be adding the hospital bracelet that they game me in the Emergency Room to Bethany's baby book. I am sure this will make for a humorous story 10 years from now.

I came home to shower and upload some pictures from the hospital. I will be heading back to the hospital soon. Not sure if I will be sleeping there or coming back here tonight. Will figure that out later. I want to be there as much as I can but not if I am just in the way.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe,
Congratulations! I'm glad that everything has gone well with the birth of Bethany. I have been following both Louisa's (first) and your blog for several months now and have enjoyed your sharing all of the moments that you 2 have related about your parent to be experiences. I am so happy for you both and for your families. I hope you feel better soon so that you can get the full enjoyment that these bonding days in the life of your new daughter brings. I send you both all good thoughts and wish the best for you all.
Thank you for sharing,
Pat

Julie Wood said...

too too cute! I am so proud and happy for you guys. Congratulations!