Sunday, August 9, 2009

How to not impress your Mother-in-law

Yea I know it has been a long time since I have posted any new blog posts. There have been many things that I wanted to post but never seemed to get around to it. Let me tell you a little story and then I will provide an update on what is going on in my life.

So my Mother-in-law is visiting and tonight I was going to BBQ some salmon on a cedar plank. Everything is going fine, I soaked the plank for 6 hours in preparation. I don't think she has ever had salmon cooked on a cedar plank and she was interested to see what I was doing. I was proud of myself and hoping she was a bit impressed with my cooking skills. Once the salmon was cooked I asked Louisa for an oven mitt so I could bring the salmon inside. Well I underestimated how hot the plank would be even though I was wearing an over mitt. After a few steps away from the BBQ it was starting to burn my hand so I attempted to place it back down on the BBQ. The salmon fillet slid right off and onto the ground with a big splat! I was very upset at myself and embarrassed at what I had done.

I was hungry as a bear as I had not eaten much all day and it was a little later than when we normally eat. Here I just ruined our main course. Fortunately there was still another half of a fillet left because we bought it at Costco. So Louisa's mom cooked that half in the oven. So it wasn't a total loss but I was so mad at myself.

Other than that things are good. Baby Bethany is due to come out in a few weeks. Can't wait to meet her. Louisa and I have done everything we can to prepare. Louisa has read countless books, we took the prenatal classes, went to a breast feeding seminar and even a cloth diaper consultation. The room is ready and all the baby clothes have been washed.

I am thrilled to become a dad. It is something that I have been looking forward to since I was probably a teenager. Not that I wanted to become a teenage dad, just that I knew that I wanted to be a father one day. It is such an exciting time right now. As I am sure any parent will know just knowing that you will become a parent you start to look at things differently.

I have always been a big music buff. I have tone of CD's and MP3's, all genres of music. Now when I listen to a song I am like "Oh I never realized that song had swear words in it" and I remove it from my playlists so I don't expose Bethany to it. I have even started a playlist for her with children's songs.

The summer is coming to a close soon which means all the activities will be starting up again. I have a meeting on Tuesday for the Knights of Columbus to start our fall planning and I will also be holding a Group Committee meeting for scouts to ramp up for the fall. Granted with Bethany coming I won't be able to do as much for the first couple of months. It will be interesting to see if I can manage to keep the right balance. One thing is clear to me, Louisa and Bethany have to come first.

I will try to post more often, if I can find time. I am sure I will have tons of things to blog about.

1 comment:

B's Mom said...

We can do the salmon fillet on cedar plank this weekend... if that makes you feel better! XOXO from your preggo wife!