Friday, August 15, 2008

Safe and Sound

I am happy to report that my surgery yesterday was a success! The doctors were able to isolate and eliminate the extra pathway in my hearts' electrical system. For those unfamiliar with my condition allow me to explain.

The first time I knew there was something wrong I was in high school. My heart started to beat funny. Of course by the time I was able to go to the hospital it was back to normal and they had no idea what had happened. This would reoccur every so often. It wasn't until I was living in Nunavut that I finally had it diagnosed. The instances of my 'attacks' became more and more frequent and severe. I went to see a cardiologist in Winnipeg. It found out I had paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia (Try to say that ten times fast) or PSVT for short.

The doctors in Winnipeg performed an ablation but were unsuccessful in correcting my problem. An Ablation is a process where they burn your heart in an attempt to create scar tissue to prevent the electrical signals of the heart to from going the wrong way. Although they did not succeed in curing me, I did experience an improvement. My 'episodes' were less frequent and less severe.

But over time they came back and it became a problem again. A team of doctors here in Ottawa agreed to give it another attempt. This time they feel confident that they fixed it. They tell me I should not have any more problems. You don't know how happy this makes me and my family. I have been living with this for 12 years and finally I am cured. I feel like a new man.

No comments: