Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Sad News and Crazy Times

I received some very sad news today. A man that had a major influence on my life has passed away two days after his 66th birthday. Bob MacVicar was one of my scout leaders, but he was more than that, he was a friend. Bob was a very good man and he will be missed by many.

In addition to being involved in scouting over 30 years, he was very active in his church and the community. Bob started as a volunteer firefighter with the Lancaster Fire Department in 1964 and joined the Saint John Fire Department in 1966. He was a district chief when he retired.

Bob was the best story teller I knew. I never grew tired of hearing him retell the same story over and over again. I learned a lot from that man. He taught me many skills and life lessons that make me the man that I am today. I would have to say that aside from my family he influenced my life the most growing up in Saint John.

I wish I could be there in person to pay my respects. But alas I am over 1000 km's away in Ottawa. Not only that but the funeral will be held on Thursday and I am scheduled to be under the knife. Yes thats right, my operation has been rescheduled finally.

Also today Louisa and I said Goodbye to our Japanese exchnage student. She and her classmates are on their way back to Japan. She was only here for 2 weeks but it was nice having her around. Bee Bee will miss her for sure. I think we will definatly look into hosting a student again but for a longer term stay.

So my life is in a bit of a spin right now. Lots going on at one time. Fortunatly for me I have Louisa to comfort me. She is my rock.

No comments: